Mohammad Yousuf's bar against playing in the Indian Premier League will continue after the arbiter hearing the case filed against him by the rival Indian Cricket League, passed an interim order yesterday restraining him from taking part in the tournament.
"Justice (retd) Dr BP Saraf passed an interim order restraining Yousuf from participating in IPL in any manner," Hitesh Jain, the ICL's lawyer, told PTI. Jain, while adding that a final order is expected in July, said the arbiter's order was "significant for the IPL too."
This is the second time that the arbitration court has postponed giving its final verdict. The court, had, on December 15 last year, restrained Yousuf from playing in the IPL till the final order, which was originally expected on March 19. This was then extended to April 30.
Based on the arbiter's original order, the ICL had warned the various IPL franchises that they could face legal complications if they bought Yousuf in the player auctions. Subsequently, Yousuf was not bought by any of the IPL teams, but he was compensated by league's organisers, who gave him US$350,000 - his starting bid price.
Yousuf had originally signed by the ICL, but was persuaded by the Pakistan board to revoke his contract and sign with the IPL, thereby ensuring that he continues playing international cricket. But the ICL maintained that his contract with them was still binding, and that Yousuf "can't participate in any competing league during the term of the contract." The ICL had also challenged Yousuf's claim that he returned the advance payment that he received from them to one of its agents in Pakistan.
With his IPL hopes in the limbo, Yousuf has since signed a five-week deal with Lancashire.