The Pakistan Cricket Board is considering moving the matches to be held in Peshawar and Rawalpindi during the home series against South Africa elsewhere, according to board officials. However, they maintained that security concerns of the South African board were not the reason behind the decision.
"There may be changes in two venues of one-day internationals in the home series against South Africa but it's an internal decision and has nothing to do with security," Zakir Khan, the PCB's director of operations, told AFP.
But board sources contradicted the official line, confirming to Mag4you.com that South Africa have asked for the changes because of security concerns. This concurs with a Reuters report that said changes were instigated by South Africa.
The tourists are scheduled to play ODIs at Peshawar and Rawalpindi. In 2003, South Africa refused to play in Peshawar and Karachi. However, Karachi will be hosting the first Test.
The Pakistan board had insisted last month that the tour will go ahead despite the violence in the past few weeks.
The South African team commence their tour on September 27, and will play two Tests and five ODIs.
Last year, South Africa flew back home from Sri Lanka, reporting a high security risk to the team in the aftermath of a bomb blast near the team hotel.