Mohammad Asif, the Pakistan fast bowler, continues to remain in detention in Dubai, with the authorities not yet having taken a decision whether to try him for possession of an illegal substance.
Nadeem Akram, the Pakistan board official in Dubai handling the case, told PTI that he was yet to hear from Asif's lawyers on further developments in the case. Asif had appeared before the court on Sunday, following which the public prosecutor's findings were referred to the Attorney General. However, Akram hadn't confirmed whether charges had been pressed against Asif.
Asif had been held at the Dubai International Airport on June 1 after authorities allegedly found a banned substance in his wallet. Asif had appeared before the chief prosecutor on June 5, where he made his statement.
Meanwhile, Shafqat Naghmi, the PCB's chief operating officer, has quashed speculation that the government of Pakistan had gotten involved in the case. A number of PCB officials met high-ranking officials in the Interior Ministry and various federal security personnel to discuss arrangements for the Asia Cup and the ICC Champions Trophy, to be held in June and September in Pakistan respectively.
"We didn't discuss the Asif case," Naghmi told Cricinfo. "Neither did we ask for their help in the matter nor did they offer it. It was a routine meeting in preparation for those tournaments."
Naghmi also said Akram was optimistic that the case would be decided one way or another by Tuesday. If convicted, Asif could face a sentence of up to four years.