Cricket Australia will send a security team to Pakistan to assess the security of the venues for their proposed tour next month. If the findings allow the tour to go ahead, it will be compressed down from 48 days to 30.
The decision was made between Cricket Australia (CA) and the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) in an ICC meeting in Kuala Lumpur today, following Australia's unease over the political upheaval in the country. Last week Pakistan suggested Sri Lanka as an alternative venue, should Australia not be content with the security arrangements, and India has also been mentioned as a possible substitute.
"I am glad that we had very open and fruitful discussions with CA where we were assured that CA was committed to touring Pakistan," Shafqat Naghmi, Pakistan's chief operating officer, said. James Sutherland, CA's chief executive, said Australia "remain committed to tour Pakistan" while adding that "the delay will certainly assist us to better assess the post-election situation in Pakistan."