Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Asif will not be travelling to Mumbai after his IPL drugs hearing was put off due to the terror attacks in Mumbai. A tribunal, comprising former India captain Sunil Gavaskar, the former vice-chancellor of India's Maharashtra University of Health Sciences Dr Ravi Bapat, and lawyer Shirish Gupte, had set November 29 as the date for hearing Asif's appeal in Mumbai, after he had appeared before them on October 11.
Asif, who was due to leave on Thursday morning with his lawyer Shahid Karim for the two-day hearing, said he had been told to remain in Pakistan. "After the Mumbai attacks, I called them [IPL officials] up to find out the status quo of the drugs tribunal hearing and they told me they will convey fresh dates later to me," Asif told PTI. "I don't think the hearing is that important now. Whenever it is held I am confident of being cleared as we have prepared well for it."
Sunder Raman, the IPL chief executive confirmed to that the hearing had been postponed and fresh dates "will be finalised later next month".
The IPL had announced in July that Asif had tested positive for nandrolone during its first season. His B sample also showed traces of the drug but the levels varied between both samples. Karim had said the discrepancy could work to Asif's advantage.
Asif was suspended by the PCB from all forms of the game pending the result of the IPL inquiry. He previously tested positive for nandrolone just before the 2006 Champions Trophy in India. Though he was banned for one year by a PCB tribunal, the punishment was overturned a month later on appeal.