1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup pineapple, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, cut in julienne strips
1/2 cup capsicum, cut in julienne strips
1/2 cup spring onions, finely chopped
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp cornflour
1½ cups cold water
2 tbsp Soya sauce
4 tbsp vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring water to a boil and cook carrot strips until slightly tender.
- Add pineapple pieces and cook for one minute.
- Stir in sugar, vinegar and Soya sauce.
- Cover and simmer for two minutes.
- Heat oil in a separate pan, and gently fry capsicum strips for a minute, add spring onions, chopped or powdered ginger and fry for a further two minutes.
- Add fried mixture to carrot mixture in a saucepan.
- Blend cornflour to a smooth paste with a little cold water and stir into the mixture.
- Bring it to a boil, stirring continuously until the sauce thickens.
- Simmer for two minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- The sauce can be served with grilled/fried fish, chicken and meat balls.