- Mix flour, salt and oil, knead into soft pliable dough.
- Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Put plenty of water to boil. Add dal.
- Boil dal for 5 minutes, drain.
- Cool a little. Heat oil in a heavy pan.
- Add all seeds whole and crushed allow to splutter.
- Add asafoetida, mix. Add all other ingredients.
- Mix well. Do not smash the dal fully.
- But enough to make the mixture hold well.
- Remove from fire, cool.
- Divide into 15 portions.
Shape into balls with greased palms.
- Keep aside.
- Make a paste with water, of flour for patching.
- Keep aside.
- Take a pingpong ball sized portion of dough.
- Knead into round. Roll into 4" diam. round.
- Place one ball of filling at centre.
- Pick up round and wrap ball into it like a pouch.
- Break off excess dough carefully.
- Do not allow cover to tear.
- Press the ball with palm, making it flattish and round.
- Repeat for 4-5 kachories.
- Deep fry in hot oil, on low flame only.
- If the kachori get a hole anywhere, apply some paste.
- Return to oil and finish frying.
- Turn and repeat for other side.
- Fry till golden and crisp. Small bubbles must appear over kachori.
- Drain and serve hot with green and tamarind chutneys.
- Making time: 1 hour (excluding soaking and cooling times)
- Makes: 10-12 pieces
- Shelf life: 2-3 days
Note: Take care to fry on low. Hurried frying will result in soggy and oily kachories.