- 1 pound finely ground beef
- 1 pound finely ground lamb
- 1/2 onion, peeled, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 small baguette rolls/pita bread
- 8 shallots, peeled, thinly sliced
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 whole fresh cilantro leaves
- 2/3 cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- Preheat the barbecue or broiler.
- Place the burger ingredients in a large bowl, blend the
mixture with your hands, taking care not to overwork it.
- Form the mixture into 8 long oval shapes, about 1 inch
- Chargrill, broil or fry the burgers for about 5 minutes
on each side for rare, or to your taste.
- Split the rolls or pita breads without cutting them
- Remove some of the bread from the center of the rolls.
- Place some tomato and shallot slices in the rolls, add
the burgers, and garnish with flat-leaf parsley, fresh
cilantro and Greek-style yogurt.