1/4 cup yoghurt
1 tsp salt
1 bay leaf
1 kg boneless beef, cut into one inch cubes
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp ginger/garlic paste
1 inch long cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp all spices
2 tbsp oil
2 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp cumin seeds
2/3 cup hot water
4 red chillies, chopped
Black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large casserole and fry the meat in batches.
- Remove from heat and set aside in a bowl.
- Fry chopped onions in the same oil and stir over high heat for four minutes.
- Grind together chillies, cardamoms, cloves and cumin.
- Add the spice paste, ginger/garlic paste, coriander powder and bay leaf, stir until fragrant.
- Add meat to the paste, gradually stir in the yoghurt keeping the sauce simmering.
- Add in the cinnamon stick, hot water and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook in a preheated oven, for one and a half hours until the meat is tender and the sauce is reduced.
- Discard the cinnamon stick and add in all the spices.