|This cake melts in your mouth. In the baking, a perfect yellow cake batter seeps into caramelized pineapple for a great blending of tastes and textures. The brightness of pineapple feels just right in the spring.
Mixing a cake from scratch is not at all hard, and there is really nothing like the way they taste. Kids find the concept of this cake fun, and enjoy the pineapple rings at the bottom. Give it a try – it just might become a family favorite.
The Upside Down Part
¼ cup butter
¼ cup organic dark sugar, such as Sucanat
7 pineapple rings (fresh or canned)
The Cake Part
½ cup butter
2/3 cup organic sugar
1 teaspoon organic vanilla
2 eggs (free range, organic eggs are the best choice)
1 2/3 cups organic all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
Whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream.
1. Grease a 9 inch cake pan.
- The Upside Down Part
- Melt the butter in a pan, and then add the sugar.
- Stir constantly until the mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Pour the mixture into the bottom of the cake pan.
- Layer the pineapple on top of the butter/sugar blend.
The Cake Part.
- Cream the butter.
- Gradually add the sugar, vanilla, and eggs.
- Beat until the mixture is well blended.
- Combine the dry ingredients in another bowl.
- Add to the butter mixture, and add the milk, beating until smooth.
- Spread evenly over The Upside Down Part.
Bake for about 40 minutes at 350F, or until a knife inserted into its center comes out clean.