- Cut off the woody tops and bottoms of the lemon grass.
- Remove the outer two layers of the stalk and cut the tender middle part into one-inch lengths.
- Pound the lemon grass in a mortar.
- Combine crushed lemon grass, chicken, garlic, black pepper, ground Thai chilli, sugar, salt, and fish sauce in a bowl.
- Mix thoroughly and refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- In a wok over medium-high heat, add oil, heat for a minute and add the marinated chicken mixture.
- Stir-fry for 15 minutes (the chicken and sauce will thicken and become caramelised).
- Remove from heat and serve with fresh salad and rice.