2 cups whole green moong dal
2 potatoes, boiled and cut into small pieces
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 cup yoghurt
4-5 tbsp of tamarind extract or paste
Salt to taste
Chaat masala to taste
1 green chilli, finely chopped
2 tbsps coriander, finely chopped
1 cup papri, crumbled
1/2 cup lightly fried peanuts
- Soak the moong dal in water overnight or for six hours. Strain the water.
- Add fresh water and some salt in a deep pot and boil the dal till it is cooked but the grains must remain intact.
- If they become too soft then they will not serve the purpose.
- Once the dal is cooked, drain and cool.
- Now mix it with boiled potatoes, diced onions, coriander leaves and green chillies.
- In a separate bowl, mix the yoghurt and tamarind paste, add chaat masala and salt to taste, and add to the dal.
- Just before serving mix in the crumbled papri and fried peanuts.