- Take a kilo and a half of biggish, red carrots and grate
them after washing thoroughly.
- Put the entire grated carrots in a pressure cooker and
steam for two minutes.
- Thereafter remove the lid of the pressure cooker. Keep
the flame on so that the excess water is dried up.
- Keep turning the grated carrots now and then to save
them from getting burnt at the bottom of the cooker.
- Pour some 200 gms of sweetened condensed milk and two
tablespoons of ghee (or saltless butter) over the carrots in
the cooker, that remains on the flame.
- The Gajar-ka-Halwa needs to be quasi-dry so one must
continue with the cooking till the carrots, milk and ghee
are sufficiently blended. Then turn off the flame.
- Sprinkle a handful of grated cashewnuts and almonds, as
also soaked raisins, over the Halwa.
- This delicious gajar ka halwa can be served straighaway
or cooled and kept in the refrigerator to be reheated and
served as a dessert.
- This method produces a Gajar-ka-Halwa, which is not
heavy while retaining the goodness of
Specially recommended for the winters.